If you want your microcontroller to do advanced stuff, then Linux-powered ARM devices should be your choice! The Beaglebone Black is similar to the Raspberry Pi but with more headers, an ADC, USB-to-Internet and more! This Beaglebone Black tutorial series starts with using bonescript (easiest) to using device tree overlays:
- The Beaglebone Black Hardware
- Introduction to Bonescript and Cloud9 IDE
- Blink a LED with Bonescript
- Adding Some Input
- Reading Analog Signals with ADC
- Controlling Servo Motors
- Using the Serial Port with Bonescript Under Construction!
- Communicating via I2C Under Construction!
I will continually update this tutorial so do come back often.